Saturday, October 20, 2007

The first website I visited was Henry Built. The layout at the opening of the page is thoughtfully done and looks very professional, as it should. I thought the site was very easy to navigate, and that everything was clearly labeled. One part of their site that I particularly enjoyed was the tables and seating section. I liked how all of their work looked as though it was a continuous collection. All of their furniture looked very clean cut and modern. Another thing that I liked about their website was how professional all of the pictures looked. I liked how on several photos there would be a close up as well as a photo with the full range of the object.
Next I went to Lacava. I didn't like the layout of this site as much as Henrybuilt. I thought that this layout seemed more like a hotel website than a design website. I didn't like their font either. When you clicked on their link titled collections, I didn't like the layout either. I felt that it was something you would see on a bed, bath and beyond website.
Casa Milano Home I like the simplicity of their home page. I like how when you click on an image of a table or some other object, it lists what it is made of and other important information, rather than simply show the image alone.
I really liked the home page of Viable London. I liked the similarity of all the photos. This seemed to give a good impression as to what their works as a whole would looks like. I also thought it was interesting how many of these sites seem to have a gray background with several images lined up for their homepage. I really liked that you could see the image of the object instead of a name to click on to view the object. I also liked the faded image in the background. I thought the colors were very nice and that it was a very well designed website.
Next I visited Design Within Reach. While I liked this one more than Lacava, the layout seemed more like a catalogue like than design firm. I did really like their logo in the upper left hand corner though. Their site was easy to maneuver and they did have a lot of interesting products.
Amuneal Manufacturing Corporation was an interesting change. Instead of having photos, drawings were there instead. After seeing so many photos and no drawings, this was sort of refreshing. I don't know if it would have struck me that same though, had I visited this site first. Having had drawings on their first two pages, I wished they had incorporated more drawings in with their following photos of their products. It made it seem almost like two different sites.
I thought it was cool to see an orthographic drawing on the Aceray site. This is the first time I had seen one outside of class. I liked how when I clicked on seating, I saw multiple thumbnails of about 20 of their chairs. This enabled me to be able to see all of the different range of chairs that that made, and made the more distinctive ones stand out all the more.
On the Snaidero website, I thought it was nice how they had a professional looking gray background, like many others, but then they changed it up by adding orange. I thought it was a good choice, because it helped me to remember which site theirs was. I liked how once clicked on collections, you were able to chose from the different styles that they offered. If you were looking for furniture, this would be extremely helpful.
Next I went to David Edward's website. Once I entered the website, I thought that the layout was very clean looking. I liked how in the right box, there were photos of his work circulating. I also liked how once I clicked on collections, I got to chose while looking at photos.
Lastly, I visited Bulthaup. I found this site to be one of the more confusing ones. After clicking on products, I wasn't really sure what to chose to view the products. I did like how there was a short paragraph at the bottom of the pictures that talked about the photo. This was very helpful.

No comments: