Sunday, December 02, 2007

Ten Interior Environments











1) This room is from Home and Design. I love the carpet in this room and I love that it is the busiest thing in the room. I always think it's exciting when something unexpected like curtains are the most interesting thing in the room. I also like the yellow painting and the blue curtains across from each other. I like that the blue curtains are in this room where they don't really match. It creates a really neat accent. The dark furniture or the white walls is kind of unimportant in this room because the rug is so cool.
2) This kitchen from Home and Design is not my favorite. While I appreciate the beautiful wood on the floor, it is so pretty that I almost just only want to look at that. All the lines in the kitchen seem to be very horizontal and in that way it reminds me of the Robie House by Frank Lloyd Wright. I like how all of cabinets and counters seem very sleek and modern and simple. I wish that the room had some more color in it.
3) This room from Home and Design has a very vertical pull to it. This is partly due to the angle the picture was taken from. I really like the way that the whiteness of this room is accented with the color of the curtains and the painting. I don't , of course, know what the purpose of the design in this room was, but I really appreciated how the colors are played down so that the focus is on the painting. I think it's a cool idea to design a room that is all about a painting. If this had been the idea, I imagine though that the furniture would be arranged differently.
4) Architectural Digest. The bird egg blue green in this room is so pretty. This room is very simple without much decoration or variation of color. This element is what makes this room so nice though. For the most part the blue and the silver white are the only colors. The green plant and the gold colored lamp are the only things not blue or white. It's enough to keep the viewers interest, but they are so little that they aren't the focus of the room and it stays very simple.
5) Architectural Digest. What I love about this room is the blue couch in the corner. While most of the couch isn't actually seen, what is seen is so vivid and so blue that it makes the entire room seem exciting and alive. The other item that does this in the room is the stack of red books. Because the red and the blue are such contrasting colors, it really adds a lot to the room. The chairs that contain red, blue and white really mediate between the colors and let you know that all of the color was on purpose. The other contrast to the white in the room is the ceiling. The dark patterned wall paper on the strangely shaped ceiling seems rather quirky and fun. I really like the built in book shelves.
6) Architectural Design. This room is very white and open. Many of the colors are a cream shade of white. The matching tables frame the room. The small accents of color are really the only things that make this room at all visually interesting. If the colored books and pillow were taken out, no one would look at this room twice.
7)Dwell magazine featured this room. What I like about it is how green and organic in color it is. It looks like a very livable space. Even though the colors don't match, the all work well together. The dark floors and furniture play off the light colors of the other wood and furniture.
8) This photo was found in Architectural Digest. This photo is for the most part symmetrical and has a very centralized pull. The chairs really frame the room. The yellow squares on the desk really serve to pull the viewers eye into the room.
9) This photo was found in Architectural Digest. What I like about this room is the extreme white quality of the room and the things in it. The only major contrast is the black balcony wall towards the top, and there is some contrast in the table furniture at the back. I also like the symmetrically of the room. While it is not perfect, the symmetrical quality is certainly identifiable. The colors work very well in this room. In the center of the photo, a triangle is created out of three orange/gold items: the chandeleir, a cabinet and something behind the table chair. I like how the designer was able to keep the open, white quality of the room and still incorporate color.
10) This photo was likewise found in Architectural Digest. It's a photo of The “Maison de Verre” of Pierre Chareau in Paris. I love this photo; it kind of reminds me of the library in Beauty and the Beast, except more tastefully. I really like how one wall is fully built in book shelves and one wall is fully window. The consistency of doing both walls like that really makes it work aesthetically. I think it is sort of strange, however, that the room is so dark since there are so many windows.

No comments: